Who is IJRD?
IJRD is a research center housed in the College of Social Work at Florida State University whose goal is for fewer people to enter the criminal justice system, and to help those who do become involved in the system return to our communities with the tools they need to succeed. Our mission is to advance science, practice, and policy to improve the well-being of individuals, families, and communities impacted by criminal justice system involvement.
- Our research promotes racial and economic equity across the criminal justice system from an individual's first contact with law enforcement to their release from incarceration.
- We collaborate with a national network of criminal justice professionals including law enforcement, prosecutors, community providers, and justice- system impacted individuals.
- We rapidly disseminate research findings to academic audiences, correctional stakeholders, practitioners, policymakers, and the public to ensure that our data-driven solutions change policy and practice in real-time.
- We train current students and future professionals on adaptive technology practices to reduce racial and economic disparities.
- We provide direct services in the process of our research to enable individuals, families, and communities impacted by criminal justice system involvement across the country to succeed.
Learn about our innovative solutions for reentry reform that expand opportunities for those who have experinced incarceration in our communities.
We conduct research projects at all phases of the criminal justice system, from an individual's first contact with law enforcement to their release from prison.
The Institute for Justice Research & Development at FSU was founded to:
- PROMOTE RACIAL AND ECONOMIC EQUITY
- CHANGE CONVENTIONAL CRIMINAL JUSTICE OUTCOMES
- DEVELOP INDIVIDUAL, FAMILY & COMMUNITY WELL-BEING
OUR NATIONAL EXPERTISE
- Law Enforcement, Prosecution, Courts, Jails & Prisons
- Mental Health & Substance Use Disorders, including Opioid Use Disorders
- Trauma & Trauma-Informed Care
- Reentry Trajectories, Employment Well-Being & Social Support
- Professional Development, Program Evaluations & Training Certifications
- Corrections & Criminal Justice Employee Well-Being